HATTIESBURG, Overlook. (WHLT) – The College of Southern Mississippi (USM) will welcome incoming freshmen, transfer and international pupils during Golden Eagle Welcome Week (GEWW) August 14-22 on the Hattiesburg campus.
New students will be capable to understand much more about USM and the Hattiesburg group as they shift into their home halls and settle in to campus existence.
“It’s much more crucial than at any time that we present opportunities for new learners to come to feel linked,” mentioned Laura Laughlin, USM’s director of Orientation and Transition Packages. “We want our incoming pupils to knowledge all of the exciting and tradition affiliated with becoming a Golden Eagle. In the course of GEWW, new college students will take part in dozens of thrilling gatherings all over the 7 days, which includes the initially two official University traditions, the Portray of the Eagle Stroll and Friday Night time at Spirit Park.
Highlights of the week include:
- Saturday/Sunday, August 14-15, 7:30 -11:30 a.m., USM Residence Halls – New Golden Eagles will be going to campus and into their respective Home Halls as they transfer in, they will have the possibility to check-in for Golden Eagle Welcome Week, listen to from Moffitt Overall health Centre about vaccination chances, and visit with Heart for Scholar Achievements staff members users.
- Sunday, August 15, 6:30 p.m., Reed Environmentally friendly Coliseum: Curtis Zimmerman: Existence at General performance Stage. This nationally acknowledged keynote speaker will encourage new USM learners as they begin their journey at Southern Skip. Zimmerman’s message centers close to an empowering metaphor: Your everyday living is a show, and you are the star. You are challenged to Be the Director, Generate Your Script, Outline Your Character, Forged Your Clearly show Wisely, and Be the Star of Your Daily life.
- Tuesday, August 17, 3-5:30 p.m. – Painting of the Eagle Wander at M.M. Roberts Soccer Stadium (east stands thoroughfare). Join in the celebration of a 24-year tradition, the “Painting of the Eagle Wander.” Pupils will meet up with in selected tiny teams at the Eagle Wander during one particular of 3 waves to leave their mark on Southern Overlook. Music will tempo the fun and Kona Ice will be readily available for participants. This event is hosted by the Southern Skip Alumni Affiliation and College student Alumni Association.
- Friday, August 20, 11:30 a.m. – Closing Ceremony, Reed Eco-friendly Coliseum. Incoming learners, together with USM Orientation and Transition Program workers, will fulfill to mirror on the past week alongside one another and put together for the new educational calendar year. Hattiesburg Mayor Toby Barker, a USM alumnus, will be on hand to welcome new students to the two the Golden Eagle family and the Hattiesburg local community.
- Services with United Way – Saturday, August 21, at numerous locations during Hattiesburg. College students will have the option to provide the greater Hattiesburg neighborhood alongside the Office environment of Inclusion and Multicultural Engagement and United Way. This year pupils will be transported to support job web sites that contain the Edwards St. Thrift Sore, The Arc, Neighbors at Hawkins, Mississippi Inland Cleanup, Piney Woods Conservation & Pinebelt Blueways, Southern Pines Animal Shelter, and The Loved ones YMCA.
- Saturday, August 21 – Household Sweet Hattiesburg. Incoming pupils are not only signing up for the Southern Pass up community, but also the Hattiesburg local community. As the latest ‘Hattiesburgers,’ they will be inspired to go off campus Saturday, August 21 and examine their new residence. Transportation will be manufactured obtainable for learners to get them to the Hattiesburg Zoo, the Pocket Museum, the African American Armed service History Museum, and quite a few much more places, culminating in a tunes occasion that night at City Square Park, “Southern Skip SummerTunes.”