To provide our community with important public safety information, the Statesman Journal is making this daily update related to the coronavirus free to read. To support important local journalism like this, please consider becoming a digital subscriber.
We’ll update this story with the latest news about coronavirus and its effects in Oregon on Tuesday, August 3.
Cases, hospitalizations continue climb
The Oregon Health Authority has reported 1,575 new cases of COVID-19. That’s the highest daily count since Jan. 9, during the winter surge, when 1,642 cases were reported.
There were 379 hospitalized patients with COVID-19 Tuesday, the highest since Jan. 15, far surpassing Gov. Kate Brown’s trigger of 300, when she says hospital systems become strained.
Of those hospitalized patients, 119 were in intensive care.
The state reported nine new COVID-19 related deaths.
That brings the state’s cumulative case count to 223,364, and the death toll to 2,872.
Marion County reported 164 new cases. Polk County reported 39 new cases.
Other counties’ new cases were: Baker (21), Benton (21), Clackamas (96), Clatsop (19), Columbia (16), Coos (35), Crook (22), Curry (32), Deschutes (42), Douglas (83), Grant (2), Harney (2), Hood River (6), Jackson (253), Jefferson (4), Josephine (41), Klamath (27), Lane (127), Lincoln (11), Linn (43), Malheur (25), Morrow (5), Multnomah (116), Tillamook (9), Umatilla (96), Union (11), Wallowa (6), Wasco (11), Washington (160), Wheeler (4) and Yamhill (26).
Oregon has administered an average of 5,010 COVID-19 vaccine doses per day over the past week.
As of Tuesday, 2.32 million people in Oregon had completed a vaccine series, and 181,304 had received at least one dose.
Newly reported deaths were:
- A 71-year-old man from Douglas County who tested positive on Aug. 1 and died on Aug. 2 at his residence. Presence of underlying conditions is being confirmed.
- A 78-year-old man from Douglas County who tested positive on July 30 and died on July 31 at his residence. He had underlying conditions.
- A 78-year-old woman from Douglas County who tested positive on July 28 and died on Aug. 2 at PeaceHealth Sacred Heart Medical Center at RiverBend. She had underlying conditions.
- A 70-year-old man from Douglas County who tested positive on July 9 and died on Aug. 1 at Mercy Medical Center. He had underlying conditions.
- A 43-year-old man from Jackson County who tested positive on July 18 and died on July 30 at Asante Rogue Regional Medical Center. He had underlying conditions.
- A 96-year-old man from Jackson County who tested positive on July 20 and died on Aug. 1 at Asante Rogue Regional Medical Center. He had underlying conditions.
- An 82-year-old woman from Josephine County who tested positive on July 26 and died on Aug. 2 at Asante Ashland Community Hospital. She had no underlying conditions.
- A 100-year-old woman from Washington County who tested positive on Jan. 29 and died on March 20 at her residence. She had underlying conditions.
- A 69-year-old woman from Yamhill County who tested positive on July 25 and died on July 28 at Providence Portland Medical Center. She had underlying conditions.
COVID-19 by the numbers
Here’s the most recent data from the Oregon Health Authority, as of Tuesday, August 3.
- 2,872: People who have died from COVID-19.
- 223,364: Total cases of COVID-19.
- 379: COVID-19 patients in hospitals.
Oregon COVID-19 cases by county
Here are the number of cases, both tested positive and presumptive, and deaths as of Tuesday, August 3.
- Baker: 1,145 cases, 18 deaths.
- Benton: 3,529 cases, 22 deaths.
- Clackamas: 20,244 cases, 243 deaths.
- Clatsop: 1,233 cases, 10 deaths.
- Columbia: 2,124 cases, 32 deaths.
- Coos: 2,376 cases, 39 deaths.
- Crook: 1,435 cases, 24 deaths.
- Curry: 856 cases, 12 deaths.
- Deschutes: 10,708 cases, 87 deaths.
- Douglas: 4,718 cases, 93 deaths.
- Gilliam: 87 cases, 1 death.
- Grant: 565 cases, 7 deaths.
- Harney: 464 cases, 11 deaths.
- Hood River: 1,286 cases, 34 deaths.
- Jackson: 13,090 cases, 159 deaths.
- Jefferson: 2,525 cases, 42 deaths.
- Josephine: 4,327 cases, 76 deaths.
- Klamath: 4,977 cases, 79 deaths.
- Lake: 486 cases, 8 deaths.
- Lane: 15,313 cases, 175 deaths.
- Lincoln: 1,572 cases, 22 deaths.
- Linn: 6,421 cases, 82 deaths.
- Malheur: 3,699 cases, 67 deaths.
- Marion: 24,758 cases, 333 deaths.
- Morrow: 1,243 cases, 17 deaths.
- Multnomah: 42,285 cases, 618 deaths.
- Polk: 4,375 cases, 57 deaths.
- Sherman: 87 cases, 2 deaths.
- Tillamook: 784 cases, 5 deaths.
- Umatilla: 9,798 cases, 94 deaths.
- Union: 1,744 cases, 24 deaths.
- Wallowa: 245 cases, 6 deaths.
- Wasco: 1,595 cases, 31 deaths.
- Washington: 28,086 cases, 259 deaths.
- Wheeler: 49 cases, 1 death.
- Yamhill: 5,135 cases, 82 deaths.
Source: Oregon Health Authority